Pitru Dosha means ancestral affliction resulting from souls of departed ancestors stuck in various realms waiting for salvation(moksha). They can be stuck without rebirth or unrest for several reasons like curses, sins or mistakes. This state of the ancestral beings in a lineage reflects Pitru Dosha in the horoscope of an individual. Vedic astrology has always observed this dosha as an opportunity to liberate those souls and set the cosmic cycle in action.
Given below Birth Details for the following input:
The person is affected by Pitru Dosha. (9th House Lord with Rahu)
Pitru Dosha Calculator
Fill in your birth details and find out if you have the Pitru Dosha. The free report will tell you whether you have Pitru Dosha or Not.
Story Behind Pitru Dosha
Pitru in Sanskrit means forefathers or ancestors. According to Brahma Purana, during Amavasya or on a particular Tithi, Lord Yamaraj allows the souls to descend on the earth plane for Shraad or Tarpanam ritual when a soul left the physical body to assimilate divine energy from this process. When we do not perform Tarpanam rituals, we deprive them of this soul energy progress and an empty return to the pitruloka. This anger or disappointment reflects as Dosha. It is also believed that these departed souls feel immense thirst and hunger on these Amavasya days or their departed tithi days and can only accept offerings from their family during Shraadh rituals.
What causes Pitru Dosha?
1. Missing out on Tarpanam and other ancestral rituals. This brings a curse from the suffering departed souls on their own family/lineage.
2. Curse from outsiders or unknown people who were hurt or affected by the dead ancestors. Also, curses from animals, birds and trees that ancestors hurt.
3. Desertion of aged parents and elderly from the family, abandoning them to fend for themselves, can curse the whole family.
4. Abortions after 48 days of pregnancy or non-adherence of tarpanam (mahalaya Amavasya rituals) for a stillborn infant. Since the soul embeds into the womb around the 7th month of pregnancy, and stillborn infants should also be considered as departed souls.
Effects of Pitru dosha
- This dosha can delay marriage and cause scuttle in smooth conjugal relations. Failed marriages and painful episodes in marital life can also result from this dosha.
- The number of bachelors or spinsters will characterize the family with Pitru dosha.
- Challenges in progeny, multiple miscarriages, unknown causes that forbid conceiving.
- Birth of differently-abled children with genetic disorders like Down syndrome, PWS syndrome or Williams Syndrome, physically challenged children could reflect Pitru Dosha.
- Sudden unnatural death of children or men or accidents that cause traumatic episodes in the family.
- Theft, fire accidents and other financial losses may result from this dosha.
How to find out Pitru Dosha from Horoscope?
1. The presence of the Sun with Rahu or Saturn or Ketu or Mandhi indicates Pitru dosha.
2. 9th house- Rahu in 9th house. 9th house lord with Rahu, Saturn, mandhi or Pathagathipathi.
3. Pathagathipathi: Sun with Pathagathipathi or 9th house lord and Pathagathipathi or 9th house lord with Pathagathipathi and Saturn.
Pathagathipathi (or badhaka adipathi)is the planet that brings harm (or obstructions) to the native. The rules to find out the pathagapathi is,
Sagittarius, Pisces, Gemini and Virgo ascendants, Pathagapathi is the Seventh Lord.
Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn ascendants, the pathagathipathi is the 11th Lord.
Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius, the pathagathipathi, is the 9th lord.
4. Planet Moon along with Rahu-Ketu or Saturn in the eighth house results in serious Pretha Badhaka
5. Lord of the eighth house in ascendant or ascendant Lord in the eighth house is also considered lethal.
6. 5th house: Presence of malefic or debilitated planets in 5th house. When the 5th house lord is debilitated or placed in a malefic house, along with malefic planets. When the 5th house lord is weak in the Navamsa chart. If the 5th house is occupied by Ketu and is not aspected by benefic planets, the native might suffer many miscarriages.
7. Planetary Conjunctions
- Planet Sun’s conjunction with malefic planets like Rahu, Ketu or Saturn due to curses in the paternal side
- Planet Moon’s conjunction with malefic planets like Rahu, Ketu or Saturn due to curses in the maternal side
- Planet Mar’s conjunction with malefic Rahu or Ketu due to curses through siblings, especially brothers.
- The conjunction of Jupiter with Rahu or Ketu due to curses from Gurus or Sages
- Planet Venus in conjunction with malefic Rahu or Ketu due to curses from Vedic scholars, Brahmans.
Unique Signs of Pitru Dosha
- Frequent dreams of elderly ancestors or a dead family member pleading for food or asking for clothes. Also, disturbing dreams of dead family members dying again.
- Last-minute obstacles and constant delays inauspicious events.
Pitru Dosha Remedies (Nivarana)
We can follow simple remedies to reduce the effects of the dosha. It is imperative to consult a Vedic astrologer for a personalized remedy.
- Performing Tarpanam, Pinda Dhaan and other ancestral offerings on Amavasya days.
- Reciting Aditya Hrudayam, performing Surya Namaskar and lighting Ghee lamps for Sun God on Sundays.
- Performing Ravi Graha Shanti or Shani Graha Shanti or Navagraha Shanthi homas.
- Taking care of the elderly in the family, respecting all the elders and parents.
- Donating food, clothes to the needy and sponsoring orphans can also mitigate pitru dosha effects
- Practicing forgiveness and apologizing when wrong.
- Feeding crows, other birds, cows and other animals or simply being inclusive with the environment around can reduce dosha effects.
- Planting saplings, worshipping Peepal trees and conserving greenery can also bring changes to the dosha effects.
Pitru Dosha Mantra
1) Om Pitrabhyah devatabhyah mahayogibhyech cha,
Namah sawaha swadhyaye cha nityamev namah!
2) Om Shreem Sarva Pitra Dosha Nivaranay klesham
Han Han Sukh Shantim Dehi Phat Swaha!
3) Sarv Pitru Devataabhyo Namah!
We can also chant a simple universal mantra given below or recite Kalabhairava Stotram and Nirvana Shatakam
Om Namo Bhagawate Vasudevayah